Skip to main content

Home Alone


Miss my Alpine Loop so much!

Nothing like a weekend all to myself! Ok. It is not all weekend but I take what I can get.

Seeing how I am taking the kids up to Provo on Wednesday for Courtney's wedding* and Karl may or may not join us for Thanksgiving, I suggested he could take them on a little camp-out this weekend. Did I mention that Karl is leaving for New Zealand and Fiji at the very beginning of December and won't be back until Christmas? Yeah. I so deserve this break!

(* Picture me jumping up and down with excitement. Can't wait for a little Cherry Chub reunion! Bachelorette Party that starts at 11am and goes all day? Count me in!)


As the good wife that I am, I should've stayed home Friday morning and gotten things ready for their camp out... Well. I decided to go swimming instead. There might be no school or NAU or library on Veteran's Day but there is always Masters. Thank you, Coach Liz! Came home to delicious French Toast and kids playing happily. So I let Karl go on a run, made dinner for them to take, baked muffins, and got some camping stuff ready. Who knew that I can be quite productive when my kids don't call: "Mama! Play with me!" every 6 seconds?

That was the end of my helping out though*. I had a bike ride to go on with Karen. The forecast predicted blue skies and sun on Friday, rain and snow on Saturday. So I decided to switch around some workouts and venture out on Friday. Mistake! It turned out overcast, cold, and windy yesterday. Today is beautiful. Of course.

(* In case you can't tell, I have the best husband!)


Wondering how the ride went? This is what Karen posted on Facebook:

Out on Lake Mary road with S Jarvis yesterday, thinking we are having a pretty good time - chattin, workin, good ride. But it was cold with unfriendly gray skies and a headwind... and abruptly my positive little sunshiny friend announces: "I'm hanging up my bike today. I am done. This sucks." I was like: Phew. If Sarah says it's time to hang it up, it's time to hang it up.

And that is how it went.

I also learned a lesson in how-to-make-friends-and-meet-fellow-triathlets-in-a-new-town. You sit in your car on the side of the road, wait for some 'hot chicks' to ride by on their TT bikes, smile and wave enthusiastically.

Me: "You know this guy?"
Karen: "No. You?"
Me: "No. Must be an athlete."

Then you follow them, roll down your window, listen to their conversation as you go by, pull over, and wave them over to you. When they stop, you say: "Hey. I heard you guys are doing Oceanside 70.3. So am I. I am Nate and just moved here yesterday. Can I have your number?"

And that is how it's done.

The rest of the afternoon/evening was spent getting my hair cut, renting a movie, eating greek yogurt, wasting time, cleaning some, dragging my butt to the gym to stretch and foam roll for an hour, watching Soul Surfer and crying my eyes out because Bethany Hamilton is amazing.

Saturday I bundled up, puffy eyes and all, and biked down to the pool for swim session #4 and a total of 15,500 meters this week. If I can't get the technique right, I can at least put the miles in, right? Thank you to Coach Liz for bringing her camera (again) and helping me out!

I told Karl I would clean the house while they are gone, which was clearly a mistake, but I figured it would be time to get to work! 10 dirty rags later I had dusted 2 rooms. Maybe I should dust more than once a year...

Karen, Megan, and Erica to the rescue! Girls run at 1pm? I am in! Running and chatting it up with these amazing ladies on a beautiful late fall day was just what I needed! Thank you!

The boys came home and life is back to normal.

I kinda like normal.






Comments

jaredandgina said…
What a fun girls night! I love soul surfer, she is amazing!! are you guys gonna be in utah for christmas? We will be! by the way why did you almost get kicked out of the gym??

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi