Skip to main content

Ready or Not ...


(This picture has nothing to do with my post. But it is just so incredibly cute.)


... off-season is officially over!

How did that happen so fast? I was just getting really into doing-whatever-I-feel-like and enjoying myself immensely, when I got an email from TrainingPeaks telling me the plan for this week! Yikes!

So I hurried and squeezed in a mountain bike ride on Monday and, since the first one was so fun, another one on Wednesday. Not exactly what the plan called for but I am a fan of cross-training in the winter. On Tuesday, an hour before the TRF track workout, I frantically called Coach M to have her tell me (again) why I am banned from the track now. She did not answer her phone. I was about to give into temptation... Good thing I have 2 coaches. HT was available and gave me a lengthy explanation of why I am not supposed to do a hard track session during heart rate training. Don't ask me to reiterate what he said but he did indeed convince me to stay away. I went to a church activity instead. Good girl!

This is also the time to plan next season! I would rather wait until January or until we are less broke (although that might be another 6 years) but races are selling out in record time. What's up with that? Aren't we still in some sort of financial crisis? Apparently the triathlon world is unaffected. Remember how I was #758 on the waiting list for Vineman 70.3 last year? I was determined not to let that happen again this year. Karl has a conference in the area that same week and we have been planning our little get-away sans kids. Long story short: Registration opened November 1st at midnight and the race sold out 3 hours later. Last year it took 5 days. I got on their website that afternoon and ... now I am #598 on the waiting list! So much for that.

I am trying to come up with a feasible Plan B but it is difficult. This whole I-really-need-qualify-for-Worlds-again-this-year is already driving me nuts. Last year it was just a nice bonus. This year it is at the top of my list. Sometimes I can barely stand myself...











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi