Skip to main content

Moab Triathlon Festival - Race Report



In this race, I was on a mission. I was going to execute Coach M's plan as best I could. Wanna know the plan? This is what it said:

Have a ball! Race all out. You should feel good from start to finish and be able to push the entire time.

That sounds like fun, does not it? Of course I am going to go all out and push the whole time. It's a race after all, right?

Well. Coach knows me better than that. She thinks I hold back every so slightly. She is right. I mean, if I did not hold back just a little, wouldn't that mean that I will either not make it to the finish line or collapse right after it?

This is what she told me a few days before the race:

Focus on visualizing going all out the whole time.
I know you push yourself but I want you to push even more.
I don't want you to do just enough to win.
The point of going all out is not to have the fastest race ever but it is knowing that you pushed to your limit and beyond.
You are strong and you need to feel that you can crush your competition. Not in a bad way. Just so that when you push really hard, you can dominate.
Don't be afraid to do it.

There you go. That was my pep talk from Coach. Yikes! Sounds like it is going to hurt! But if I want to have a great race at Boise 70.3, then I need to practice being in the pain cave a little more often. I was ready...

I saw that there were quite a few girls from Colorado that I had never heard of and some of them looked very intimidating but I am happy to say that it does not phase me anymore. It has taken a long time but I have finally come to the point where all I expect of myself is to give it my very best. If there are faster girls, great! Bring it on!

The Swim

Good

I did not mind the cold water. Below 60? I can handle it.
Although we started with the guys, it was pretty calm.
I exited 4th overall and 1st female.

Bad

I could not see the buoys! I have been having this problem a lot lately. After one lap it finally occurred to me that my 3-year-old goggles might be just too fogged up. I was really sick of having to do breast stroke half the time in order to see where I was going. So I stopped, dipped the goggles in the water and - voila! - everything was so clear that I about peed in my wetsuit I was so excited! It was smooth sailing from here...

The bike

Good

I thought I was going to hate the course but - to my surprise - I was loving it! All the cows miraculously stayed out of the road, the roads did not feel as bad as they looked, and there were more hills than I thought. There was probably only 1 flat mile. It was 10k downhill, 20k uphill and another 10k downhill. I sure like myself some hills!

As I was exiting the swim, Chris, the race director, yelled: "There is one ahead of you!" At least that is what I thought he said and later on he confirmed his statement. So, of course, I tried to catch her. She was nowhere in sight but I was going to catch her. Well, all I could see at the first turn-around was 3 guys. And they were all obviously men. So, instead of catching a girl in front of me, I tried to pick up as many guys as I could. I caught 2 but, in the end, was also caught by 2. Not too shabby.

Bad

I can't think of anything. Except that it must have been long 'cause I sure was going faster than 12 mph. But that might have actually been a good thing.

The run














Good

It was a super fun course! Definitely XTERRA worthy. Lots of sand, rocks, hills, and even a stream to cross on a wobbly little wooden bridge. Plenty of entertainment!

Bad

Although I love it, I have not been trail running in way too long. I could feel it for sure. I came off the bike in 3rd and was hoping to hold that position. But when #4 passed me I knew there was no way I could stick with him. I was trying hard. Really hard. My mantra was Crush the Competition. I know, not a very nice one. I was just following Coach's orders and I think it helped.


Karl (XTERRA) had started an hour before me and crossed the finish line about 5 minutes after me. It would have been fun to cross paths on the run but it was also nice to enjoy some post-race moments together before getting Noah ready for his race.

Thank you, TriUtah for putting on a great race, as usual. And thank you, HT Training for getting me to the starting line strong and ready.




Comments

jaredandgina said…
Great Job Sarah! You are all amazing!! I wish I had that competition drive!! Good luck with your big race!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec