Skip to main content

Moab Triathlon Festival - XTERRA and Kids' Tri



Karl is ready to bring it on at the Moab XTERRA. He loves off-road races and has been hoping for one to return to Moab for a long time. So he really could not pass this one up. Compared to most people, he is still in excellent shape. However, going to grad school with a wife and two kids has definitely taken its toll. He still manages to squeeze in quite a few runs and makes the best of his bike commute to school, but his focus is on school and there are only so many hours in a day...


His swim went really well. He was not last out of the water and only had me thinking he drowned for about 2 minutes before I saw him cruising into T1. Cold-blooded skinny dudes usually don't make very good swimmers and Karl is no exception. After not having swum for more than a year, he claims that his time was about as fast as in previous races. So I don't expect to see him in the pool any time soon...


He was very excited to have a camera mounted to his handle bars, so he could film the bike ride for his good friend and fantastic photographer Steven Walters. Unfortunately, the bike course was so rough that the camera did not hold up more than 2 miles. Good thing Karl was tougher than the camera and managed quite well on the bike. Skinny runners definitely make good bikers.

As the runner he is, he flew by most of his competitors on the 10k trail run. He was very excited about the sand, rocks, stream, and single track that would make this run challenging. He was having a great time and it was fun to compete in the same race.


Next up was Noah's race. This kid really likes to compete. (Wonder where he gets that...) It has not always been like that. I remember the first little kids' run we signed him up for. He was 2 and much smaller than most of the others. When the other kids took off, he just stood there and cried. Well, those days are over.

By the time his race was supposed to start, it was very cloudy and extremely windy. His enthusiasm for the swim quickly faded. Cold air temperature, cold water, no wetsuit or life jacket and he is still learning how to swim. So we decided to skip that part of the race altogether. Not a problem when you are 5 years of age... He just ran into transition when everybody else got out of the water.

This picture makes me smile. Look at the kid next to him. He is all decked out in his Orca triathlon suit and nice mountain bike. Then there is Noah with his super baggy shorts, $5 shoes, and hand-me-down bike that weighs more than he does. I am just glad Noah does not know any better and can't even really tell the difference.


He sure was having a blast on the bike.


Running into T2


Running is definitely more of a challenge. But we have been working on doing hard things. It's not that I want my kid to be some exceptional runner at the age of 7, but I want him to know that we can do things that seem difficult, whatever they may be.


Best part of the race?

Gatorade


A fancy medal
and a cool race shirt.


Huge thanks to Jen for coming down, reserving a campsite, letting us sleep in her luxurious tent, and watching our kids while we were racing. Yep. She did all that for us. She is the best!


PS: My race report is up next. Hopefully tomorrow...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec