Skip to main content

Time to Buckle Down



Today is May 11 and Boise 70.3 is June 11. So, I figured today would be a good time to start lockdown. I figure it can't hurt to practice some more self-discipline, so I can go into this race knowing I prepared the best I could.

So, here is what I am going to do for the next 4 weeks:

# get 8+ hours of sleep every night *
# no snacks after dinner **
# make each and every workout count ***
# follow Coach M's instructions to the dot
# take more time for recovery ****
# simplify, simplify, simplify

It is not a long list but if I can stick to it, it should make a difference. I am really excited for Boise. I have not done a big race in a long time. Come to think of it, I have never done an Ironman sanctioned event. The last big one I raced was the Quelle Challenge in Germany 4 years ago.

I am racing Boise 70.3 to try to qualify for the 70.3 World Championships in Vegas. Vegas is just around the corner from us (and much closer than any of the qualifying races) and I could not pass up the possibility to compete. Boise will be my only shot at trying to qualify but I think I have a pretty good chance if it all comes together. If it does not happen, no big deal. There are plenty of fun and awesome races out there!

Next up: Moab Triathlon Festival this weekend. It will definitely be a Jarvis Family Triathlon Festival. Karl is doing the XTERRA Full Tri, I will be racing in the Moab Road Olympic Tri, and Noah is very excited to compete in the Kids Triathlon. Bring on the fun!



* I just read that Linsey Corbin gets 10 hours of sleep a night. Wow! I guess you need to be a professional without kids in order to do that. But I could get a little closer to ten...
** This should make going to bed early easier...
*** Only the ones prescribed by Coach. I will drop all the others.
**** This should be a little easier with Karl out of school for a while. He will still be busy but maybe I can squeeze in an ice bath here and there. Maybe even a nap?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...