Skip to main content

Dilemma Solved - 3 Races in 8 Days


10k trail run

Thank you for all the encouragement!
I am signed up and the fun has already begun!

The 10k trail race on Saturday was a blast!
Have I mentioned that I love trail running?
Well, I do!
I find it so much (mentally) easier and more enjoyable
than road running.

I was having a great time behind my personal pacer
(aka husband)
until mile 5 when someone yelled:
Second place lady!
To which I replied out loud:
What the heck?
Where did all the fast girls go
that started ahead of me?
Must have been 5k runners...

So now the pressure was on.
I got mad at Karl for misreading my thoughts
and tried to pick up the pace
which never really happened.
Oh well...

Not sure if I really finished 2nd or not,
we left before awards.
Karl was taking the boys and my parents on a hike.
I still had some unfinished business:
a 60-mile bike ride.

After my legs had finally come around
and joined the party,
the cable to my front derailleur snapped
and I had no choice but to cruise
all the way back home in the small gear.
Bummer. Or not.

Guess where I get to ride to tomorrow?
The Grand Canyon.
From my house. 75 rolly miles.
The boys and my parents are already there
and I get to join them via bike tomorrow.
I am excited!

Camping and tapering for this weekend
is just around the corner!
Hooray!

Happy training and racing to all of you!







Comments

Leslie said…
That sounds really fun Sarah! Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...