Skip to main content

Racing in Arizona - Dilemma


close to finishing in Boise

There are actually a few dilemmas with racing in Arizona but I won't go into detail because I have vowed to stop complaining (too much) about living here. Let it suffice to say that I have lived here for an entire year and not entered a single race.

But I am happy to announce that this is about to change! I have 2 (or 3) races coming up in the next 8 days and I am excited. First up is a local 10k tomorrow. I signed up hoping for a chance to finally break 40 minutes in a 10k. Afterwards I found out that it is a trail run, partly on single track. Forget breaking 40 minutes! Now I am hoping for sub 50. I am still bringing my personal pacer (aka husband) just for fun.

With the help of my amazing sponsor PowerTri I will also be able to compete in the MountainMan Half next Sunday. I have been looking forward to racing this half-iron distance event ever since I barely missed it last year. (We moved into town a few days too late.) Although it is local, there will be quite the competition from all over Arizona/Nevada/? and we will see how I stack up next to these fast ladies.

This is where possible race #3 comes in. And I need your advice. And maybe I will listen to it... Karl is running in the local trail half marathon next Saturday. I have been pretty bummed that both the half marathon and the half triathlon are on the same weekend but, being the triathlete that I am, I chose the MountainMan. Of course.

Yesterday I found out that:
The two race organizers have teamed up and the person who competes in both events that weekend and has the fastest combined time wins free entries to both races next year!

Very tempting, isn't it? How could I possible resist trying? I mean, how many gluttons for that kind of punishment can be out there? Ok. Probably more than I think. But still...

I talked to Coach M and HT. They have pretty much given me permission. Wow. I did not think they would. Maybe that is why I asked... So they would say No and I can move on.

Now I am in a very different dilemma.

What should I do? Anyone?





Comments

Jessica gray said…
Dang girl you inspire me! Your self disipline, and dedication makes you an unbelivable athlete! Your going to rock them all! Cant wait for your next post to hear how thr races went. Good luck show those ladies whos boss ;@)
Jessica gray said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
A green light from your coaches!!

That means GO time!!!

Have a blast :-)
Leslie said…
Well, you want to do well in the tri, but it's not Vegas, not your real A race (I think), and I'm sure you're super fit right now, so I say it can't hurt to try.
Glad to hear things worked out with Powertri, email me about Pumpkinman

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...