Skip to main content

Feat of Fortitude - Half Marathon


(Sorry for the delay. Having my parents here, then Karl gone, kids starting school, and training for Vegas does not leave much time or energy for anything but eating and sleeping.)


Let's see. The Big Brothers Big Sisters Half Marathon seems so long ago. I need to dig around in my memory. Ok. Here we go:

After a nice pre-race pasta dinner Friday night, I got up early and jumped on the trainer. (Remember the kids were with my parents? So the pasta dinner was our date. Nice!) Coaches plan called for 40 minutes on the bike before the run. I happily obliged. We all know how much I love running off the bike. (No sarcasm here.)

Cruise to the race downtown. Lock up bikes. Good-luck hug. Warm-up. Ready to go! Wow! Running races are so simple. I love it.

The race itself was pretty uneventful which is usually a good thing. I started out as the 4th girl, passed #3 after one block, and stayed in 3rd for the rest of the race. I never saw the fast girls and I never looked back. I did not really care about my place but towards the end I decided to put up a little fight for 3rd place if I had to. Luckily I did not need to.


I love trail running! If this had been a road race I would have been much more hesitant about signing up. Road races seem so much harder on my body and especially on my mind. This run was a blast! After a few solid weeks of training I forget how good I can feel when tapered. It is amazing! My legs did not feel like cement blocks. It was great.

The plan was to run comfortably hard. Keep things under control. Push myself but avoid any sort of pain. (Who wants to be in the pain cave two days in a row? Not me!)

I think I was pretty successful at sticking to the plan. Looking back I should've probably gone a little easier but - like I said - it is hard when you feel tapered and good. I was feeling a little more tired after the race than I would've liked to and started to get a little nervous about Sunday's race. But then I decided to trust my body and focus on recovery.

Karl had an amazing race placing 4th in a very competitive field. We are talking Olympic trial qualifiers (Mike Smith) and professional ultra runners (Ian Torrence). He ran a 1:23 on a hilly dirt trail. That is a 6:20 pace. That just blows my mind! Congrats, Karl!


Not much socializing for me. I went straight home. Jumped back on the bike for another 30 -minute spin. Food... Ice bath... Hot tub... Shower... Ice bath... Legs up... Compression socks... More food... Nap... Wow. That's the life, isn't it?

Unfortunately, it somewhat went downhill from there. I needed to drive out to Lake Mary for packet pick-up and did not bring enough food or water. I also dropped Karl off with my parents and the boys who were camping out there. Everything took longer than expected and it was hot! After some grocery shopping I finally got home and was way too hungry. Not good.

I did not quite make it to bed in time either since packing for a Half Iron is slightly more involved than packing for a Half Marathon. I did have a very nice chat with HT though. I usually just communicate with Coach M but HT is usually the one to call before and after a race. I was hesitant to pick up the phone because all I wanted to do was go to bed, and I remember thinking: What could he possibly say that would make me feel better? But I am so glad I did because HT gives pep talks like no one else! Thank you, Coach!


** All pictures are courtesy of Bret Sarnquist.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec