Skip to main content

I Want You to Love the Run Today!



(You probably don't care too much but I have to say it anyway. I wrote a post very similar to this one last night already and then, when it was all ready to be published, I lost it. It was gone. Just like that. I was extremely pissed. To say the least. I went to bed even earlier than usual and, before my head hit the pillow, I declared out loud: I am not going to let this defeat me!!! So here I am again:) 

 

I love it when Coach M tells me how I am supposed to feel during a certain workout. It is usually the run since running is mentally the toughest for me. Her orders for Saturday's brick run were as follows:

Focus on feeling strong. 
I want you to love the run today!
You are strong and you can run. 
Hit the pace! 

Ok. Will do. No problem. I am going to hit the pace or at least die trying. But wait!?!  What if I don't feel strong? What if I feel weak? How can I force myself to feel a certain way? What if I happen to dislike the run? Or not even feel like running at all? I decided to just forget about it since worrying was not going to help anything. Once I got to the run, I would just see how I feel. 

This is how Saturday went: 

Since I missed out on last week's 50*100 meters in the pool, I was more than happy to accept Coach Liz's (who was also out of town then) invitation to our own 100s party this morning. I am so happy to report that time flew by and before I even knew it we were done! It was not nearly as hard as I thought it might be. Maybe because we did not swim super fast and I was drafting the whole time... A nice guy offered to move over so I could have my own lane but I declined: No, thanks. I'll just draft behind Liz. And that's what I did. Liz happens to be the... Holy cow! I just did some research to get my claims right and... WOW... I mean: I knew Liz is an amazing swimmer and coach but little did I know that she is a 15-time national champion and former world record holder! Good thing she did not really swim at all last month or she would've been lapping me once every 100 meters. Yikes! I'd better shape up during Masters. 

Afterwards: whole-wheat crêpes à la Karl. This time (unlike last time) the boys actually left some for me! Lucky! 

Followed by: playing/cleaning/skateboarding/ice chipping with the boys while Karl works out.

 

Then it was time for my 'little' brick. Temperatures were above 40 and it was sunny, so I had no excuse to stay indoors. Or so I thought! I bundled up (or not) and headed outside - only to be greeted by a rather strong winds. Still in the parking lot, I seriously considered turning around and packing my bag for the gym but then remembered that my training log is called What Headwind?!?** for a reason. So I went on pretending that there was not any wind for the next (almost) 3 hours. It worked rather well. By the time I got home, however, I was done pretending. So I did pack my bag after all and headed over to the treadmill. 

The good thing about the treadmill: you just punch in the numbers and hang on. Much easier to hit the pace than outdoors. I had to choose between staring out the window or watching a movie. Since the first option was not going to be conducive to feelings of love, I went with the movie. Now I am not sure if I was loving the movie or the running. Either way I was feeling some sort of love. That should count, right? 

The bad thing about the treadmill: I was clearly being a wimp. If I was strong, I would be running outside. Braving the conditions. Honestly, at this point I did not care too much. It was Saturday afternoon and I had logged more than 20 hours of training that week already. I just wanted to be done and spend the rest of the weekend with my family! 

I was sure that Coach M would give me another chance to focus on feeling strong soon. And she did! Today!  



I could write a novel on that workout as well but let it suffice to say the following: After my warm-up I spent 5 minutes in the bathroom of the gym giving myself a nice little pep-talk and trying to convince myself that Coach was not actually trying to kill me. Then I found a computer with internet to double-check the workout. Then I called Coach M to triple-check. Just in case. Her words of wisdom: If you are not dead after the 3rd set, then repeat the 2nd set. Oh. Ok. Thanks. That won't be necessary... But it was! I repeated the 2nd set, went to boot camp, did some P90X, stretched and foam rolled until I was late to pick Max up from preschool! What a morning! It reminded me of one of my favorite quotes: 

What lies behind us and what lies before us 
are tiny matters compared to 
what lies within us. 
- Emerson



PS: Yes. These pictures are supposed to say something like: I always love running when on trails. I feel stronger on trails than on the road. But, unfortunately, I can't hold any sort of pace on trails. I am considering being an ultra runner in my next life. My next life might start when I am in my 50s... 

** Who knows what book this is from? 



Comments

Nate + Carlee said…
Love this! You are so inspirational. I have also discovered how much I love trail running, AND how depressing it is to realize that I averaged 10 minute miles. WHAT?! But I was working SO hard!! I was just thinking about the buffalo run the other day and how before that I was convinced that road running and trail running were the same thing. Oh two years
ago Carlee, you were so naive...

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec