Skip to main content

Party in the Skydome


Assistant Coach Shayla Houlihan


Team Run Flagstaff is back! 
After a little winter break 
we now get to run in NAU's fantastic Skydome.
I am so excited!


What could be better than cruising around a 300m indoor track
with more than a hundred of your closest friends? 
Although I can't think of anything, 
I had to sit on the sidelines and watch. 
Coach M did not think it would be very smart 
to hop back on the track for speedy intervals
 a few days before my first race of the season. 
I wonder why... 

Picture from Flagstaff Footnotes

Don't worry: 
I still had plenty of fun 
socializing
people-watching
cuddling with Max
stalking Olympic Trials Marathoners

KJ was back in his element 
after being injured the last few weeks. 
Noah was having a blast playing with friends. 
Tuesday nights at the track are a family affair in this household. 

If you live anywhere close to Flagstaff, 
I highly recommend joining us on Tuesdays at 6pm. 
There is a place for everyone and we'd love to have you all. 
We have the most amazing coaches 
that take really good care of all of us. 
Come join in on the fun! 


I told Karl the other day that I almost wished 
I was a runner here in Flagstaff. 
The running community here is phenomenal
and part of me wants to belong there. 
But even if I am only a runner 1/3 of the time, 
I feel richly blessed to live in such a wonderful place! 

Thanks to Erin at Flagstaff Footnotes 
I have been following the running scene a lot more lately 
and it's been super fun. 
That way, when Janet Cherobon-Bawcom showed up 
at TRF practice last night, 
I knew that she had just placed 5th at the Marathon Trials. 
How cool is that? 

I am in awe. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...