Skip to main content

New Year's Eve Ride to Zion


At the Temple of Sinawava

St. George is everything I had hoped for: 

sun
blue skies
amazing scenery
fun HT Training teammates


Craig and Colleen

non-stop triathlon talk
warm(er) temperatures
awesome group of riders
a goofball for a Coach


The drive down with HT was great. 
Nothing like picking his brain and getting the scoop 
on Utah triathlon gossip
The drive seemed to fly by 
which probably had something to do with Heath 
driving about 90 mph most of the time. 
We even got in a nice little ride, run, and swim (clinic)
before heading over to Colleen's house for dinner and more tri talk. 


We had a great turnout on Saturday morning for the Zion Ride. Probably about 30 people. Let's just say that it was not as organized as the PnT rides that I am used to and I am blaming it on the triathletes. It was super fun (nonetheless). And a little bit tiring. I had not ridden 80 miles in quite a while. 


Highlights: 
** Pacelines. They did eventually form. I am a fan! 
** Breath-taking scenery. It never gets old. 
** Screaming down Zion Canyon at 30 mph average over 10 miles. There were 10 of us at this point          
     and it was an absolute blast
** Pacing myself well enough to make it back to the car happy and healthy.


Lowlights: 
** Coach M telling HT to test us during the ride. If she meant having Heath pull the Pain Train at a ridiculous pace and see whether or not we would eventually fall off, I failed
** Getting dropped right after those very fast 10 miles. Luckily, I was not the only one and had a couple of great ladies to fight the raging winds with on our way back. 


The rest of our New Year's Eve was rather uneventful but very nice and I was in bed before midnight. Boring, I know, but I wouldn't want it any other way. 


Happy 2012!!!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec