Skip to main content

Who cares?



All I could think of last night during my first (indoor) track session of the year and then swim #2 of the day was:

You can do this. Just hang in there and get'er done. All that's on the plan for tomorrow is a recovery spin and a swim in the evening. You can do it!

And I did. I was able to maneuver my way around all the college kids flirting in surf trunks and bikinis. Not sure why they would choose a freezing pool for their social hot-spot on a Tuesday night but I was thankful for just about anybody that would keep me honest during my mid-night (9 p.m.) swim!

Upon getting home to sleeping kids and a husband flinging sweat from the trainer, I was simultaneously stuffing my face with food and reporting to Coach M on TrainingPeaks. Wanting to double-check on the length for my recovery spin, I clicked on Wednesday and -

Surprise! 

The recovery ride had vanished and in its place I found a 9 mile tempo run! 

Gulp!

The end.

Not really. But I started this post 3 days ago and have not been able to summon enough energy to finish it. By now - who cares what happened on Wednesday? I sure don't. I can only vaguely remember that tempo run anyway. Seems like ages ago. But I do remember that I was going to tell you that Julia Roberts saved my run. I love that girl and, although I have no idea what the movie was called or even what it was about, she made it so much easier for me to hang onto that treadmill which was going way too fast for my tired legs. I kinda wanted to jog an extra little bit just so I could see the end...

Not sure why I thought this post was going to be interesting or worth sharing, so I am just going to end it here and hope I can reanimate enough brain cells to write a decent St. George Halfmarathon race report tomorrow! It's been a long week...

The end. This time for real.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...