Skip to main content

Cache Valley Triathlon


This race report is 2 weeks late. I just have not been able to make myself write it since I am taking a break from all things racing-related. But it needs to be done so I can move on.

Cache Valley Olympic Triathlon was the last of 5 back-to-back races. I was still motivated and excited but also getting a little tired. The weather definitely was not helping. Cold and rainy. All weekend. I really don't mind the cold but I sure don't like to race in the rain. Luckily, the rain held off for a few hours while we were out on the course.

Nothing like getting into a nice, comfy wetsuit when it is cold. I am kind of kidding, kind of not. We considered doing the entire race in this flattering outfit, just so we could stay warm.









It was a great race but I definitely was having some issues. In all three disciplines.

The swim

Have I mentioned that I am really good at sighting in open water? Well, I thought I was. Apparently I am not.

The swim was a triangle as usual. 3 buoys. 2 loops. I swim to the 1st buoy. Then to the 2nd. I think I am making my way to the 3rd. I clearly see the buoy ahead of me. Then a couple of swimmers come straight at me. How can they be this off course??? I keep going. Look up again. Get confused. Take a few breaststrokes. And notice that I am swimming back to the 1st buoy rather than to the 3rd. What? There is no way this is happening to me. I am mad.

Actually, I was not all that mad. I thought it was pretty funny and was laughing at myself. It is true: Pride comes before the fall. The water was definitely choppy but that's no excuse. I was worried about the other girls. Well, there were only three of us racing Elite. One of them was Lindsay Zizumbo who did incredibly well at Ironman St. George and I had never raced against her before. I knew she would be good.


The bike









Because of my little detour in the lake, I had no idea where I was on the bike. I assumed the other girls passed me in the water and were now ahead of me. So I tried to reel them in. Except that I did not feel like going hard. Not at all. I was feeling fine. I just was not in racing mode.

It did not help that the velcro on my shoe would not stay tight. It would come undone constantly and then flap against the chain. Super annoying. I have always hated velcro. Eventually, I gave up closing it and tried to ignore it. After one lap there still were not any girls in sight but I started to get my mind right and was actually having fun.

The run









I was trying to find out which position I was in and somebody told me I was in first! Nice! Of course I knew that Lindsay was right behind me, trying to run me down. So I'd better skedaddle. Only problem: I really had to pee. I usually don't need to pee during a race. Well, except Ironman, where I had to pee like 6 times. But today was cold and I did not sweat much. I had three options:
  1. Hold it until the race was over. This was not really an option though, since I knew I would not be able to hold it for that long.
  2. Hold it until the turn around. Once I knew how big (or small) of a lead I had, I could take time to go in the bushes. Or not. Except, there were no bushes in sight anywhere.
  3. Pee in my pants. Gross. I know. I had never done it before. I know the Pros do it but I am not a Pro.
I chose to go with the third option. It went about as well as it could. I made sure no one was around to witness.

Turns out, I would have had plenty of time for a bathroom break. More than 10 minutes. Once I saw how far back Lindsay was, I slowed down a bit and enjoyed winning my 5th race in 5 weeks. Unfortunately, I did not get the TYR wetsuit which I thought was the prize for 1st place. Instead, they chose to give away 4 TYR wetsuits and 4 pairs of Asics shoes in a raffle. The winners walked away (pretty much) empty handed. I just don't get it.









I am loving my break from racing just as much as I love racing. Time for some serious training and family fun.

Next race: Scofield Escape Triathlon on July 17th.


Comments

Supalinds said…
BWAHAHA!! Sarah, my training partner just sent me your blog! You had plenty of time to pee. Too funny! Hopefully I can be as tough as you when I grow up.

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi