Skip to main content

Transition Tips II


Cache Valley Training Tips #4


T1 – transition from swim to bike

Chris from TriUtah just informed me that the first transition is slightly different this year in order to avoid to separate transition areas. It looks like we will exit the water on the boat ramp and then run up and across the road into the transition area. Chris recommends bringing good shoes to cover this section (about 400m) between the water and our bikes. You can also use sandals which are easy to get on and off but harder to run in. Or you can choose to run it barefoot. I am going to come prepared, take a good look at this stretch, and then decide whether or not I will want to take the time to put on shoes/sandals.

I like to stay in the water and continue to swim until it is so shallow that my hands touch the bottom. Then I get up and run to the shore. By doing this, I avoid expending lots of energy trying to run through deep water. As soon as I am out, I unzip my wetsuit and remove it down to my hips. Then I take my goggles and cap off. Once I find my bike, I take the wetsuit off completely, step on the towel, put my biking shoes on, then my helmet, then sunglasses, and I am ready to go. Make sure you fasten your helmet before leaving the transition area! This is a USAT rule. Push your bike to the line that says “mount here” and hop on. If you know it might take you a second to get on your bike/clip in, please be courteous and move to the side a little, so others can pass. Then, enjoy the ride!


T2 – transition from bike to run

Take it just a little easier at the end of the bike, so your legs feel as fresh as possible on the run. Slow down enough to be able to stop at the “dismount here” line and hop off. I will definitely be slowing down a little more this time, seeing how it is another downhill bike finish. Last weekend I had too much momentum and when I got off my bike I fell right on my bum. I’d rather avoid this happening in the future.

Make sure you put your bike back where it was. The bike racks can get pretty crowded and everyone else needs a spot for their bike as well. Take your helmet and shoes off. Put your (socks and) running shoes on, grab your race belt (and visor) and off you go! In a sprint distance race, I might also grab a gel if I need it. In an Olympic distance race I definitely bring one along.

More on nutrition next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi